Tuesday, June 16, 2009
Special Friend
Last November I signed up to be a mentor to a foster child through the state foster care center; they call us special friends. I had to go to a few orientation meetings, get my house and car looked at, get a fingerprint card, show that my car is registered and insured before I could be placed with a foster child. Then I waited a few months before I got matched. For security I'm not going say her name, but she's 9 yrs. old and such a sweet girl. She likes earrings, music, movies, shoes, clothes, water parks, and reading. So do I!! I've only hung out with her twice so I'm still getting to know her, but I can tell we'll have lots of fun together. CPS and the other workers would like me to help her learn math and reading since she's struggling with those subjects in school. I hope that I can be one person in her life that she knows she can trust because one thing I learned during the meetings is that a child has a hard time gaining someone's trust because they've been hurt so much. I pray that she will feel my love for her and we can build a friendship together.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
What a blessing you are to her! What a great opportunity.
Post a Comment