Thursday, March 11, 2010
Transplant Meeting
The transplant meeting went well. They didn't give me a definite yes or no answer, but at least they didn't say no right away. They want to look at tests I've had done in the past few years and maybe run some more so they can get a better understanding of how my anatomy is. They are going to call in about a month when they've looked things over and have discussed it. I'm guessing they'll tell me then. My scoliosis plays a big factor in whether or not I can have this done. Right now all my organs are in there places and if they put in a new heart and lung everything else might shift a little which might make my back become worse. Here are some more things I learned today.
~ I'm in the Western region of the donors association. So this includes CA, AZ, and parts of UT, NM, and TX. My organs could come from any of those states.
~ Transplant recipients on the waiting list are in a database that has all your information and so when, say a lung, becomes available it picks the first person who matches all the criteria needed for this lung and then who is first on that list. So it's not like the doctors are fighting over who gets what. They have no say in it. They can only move you up on the list as you get worse.
~They don't disconnect the donor's organs until the surgeon gets there to take them. This is so the organs will be preserved and they'll more likely work for the recipient.
~My heart and lung would come from a child.
~I'd get the heart and lung done at the same time. It'd be way too risky to do one and then the other. My lungs couldn't take a heart transplant and vise versa.
~Right now I'd be very low on the list if I'm able to get it done because I'm not on o2 24/7. I'm not in the hospital and I'm able to get around with little assistance.
~The surgeon is good buds with my surgeon who did my open heart and lung surgery as a baby. That is comforting because it means they've had tons of experience and have probably shared ideas and things they've learned all these years. I wonder if they went to school together back in the day. I'll ask next time I see him.
If I think of more things, which I probably will, I'll add it.
I'm just grateful to get the ball rolling on this. I've always known I'd need it done at some point in my life so might as well start this process now when I'm not too sick. Thanks for all your love, support, and prayers. You'll never know how much it means to me.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
I'll be praying for you.
This is so neat to read about, and I love that you are doing all the research into it. You are so brave!
Post a Comment